"The No Resume" Culture

| Comments Off

Today, my History of Graphic Design teacher, Ricardo Hernandez, verbally signed his resignation today. He said goodbye to us with a class led by his personal beliefs in getting ahead in the world through design. He solidified his mark with me with his talk of "The No Resume" culture.

I liked the idea, the idea is that if you're still showing your resume, you're doing it wrong. He spoke of the importance of having a web presence, of meeting people and creating meaningful relationships, he spoke of just generally living to be eligible for a real position. I enjoy his rants on these things because he's real. I mean he speaks passionately about design, no holds barred, and totally uncandid. But I am intrigued by this idea and I am searching the blogsphere on peoples point of view of this.

Lets start with my point of view, I don't want to speak pretentiously about the topic because I have a peeve with the idea of someone formulating opinions without knowing anything. But I want to say that I agree, wholeheartedly, because I have been trying to grow my web presence for the last 2 years. I have joined almost every social community, I have a piece of art all over the web, I have also created and left a mark on alot of my more favorite places. But I still feel unaccomplished. I feel as if it is all going unnoticed. But I do it, I do because I need to. Mahatma Ghandi said “Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it" I look at that quote with malice, but it dictates more than half my life. I never give up and I never stop. I lose sleep solely to create and work on my own public image. I work tirelessly for my craft and I want people to join in. I want people to help, I want to help, I want to create a community in itself through graphic art and it should be driven through relationships, through our social footprints, not what we look like on paper.

I want to hear more, from the community abroad. keep coming back because this is going to be ongoing.

Comments are closed.